Two-tier shield for Aadhaar data
- In the wake of reports of an alleged breach of the Aadhaar database, the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) has rolled out a two-tier security process that will come into effect from June 1.
Virtual ID concept
- Aimed at eliminating the need to share and store Aadhaar numbers, the UIDAI has introduced the concept of a virtual ID, which an Aadhaar holder can use in lieu of his/her Aadhaar number at the time of authentication, besides sharing of ‘limited KYC’ with certain agencies.
- A Virtual ID (VID) will be a temporary 16-digit random number mapped with the Aadhaar number. There can only be one active and valid VID for an Aadhaar number at any given time and it will not be possible to derive the Aadhaar number from VID, the circular said.
- The VID authentication will be similar to using Aadhaar numbers.
- However, since a VID is temporary, agencies will not be able to use it for de-duplication.
- The move follows a report in The Tribune newspaper that allegedly exposed a data breach in Aadhaar records.